Bjorn said I shouldn't "expose" this. Fuel the already laughable flames that surround New Zealand and New Zealanders. But to hell with it. I take pride in my country, and so what if we're simple people with simple pleasures? So what if our current events consist of famous sheep being shorn on an ice berg just off the coast of Dunedin..Oh wait. I haven't told you about that yet..Meet Shrek. Shrek was a renegade. A rebel. A hermit, who had been hiding out in the rocky mountain tops of the South Island for some six years. But then his cover was blown. The jig was up, as they say, and he was discovered by a bunch of dirty sheep herders, and became a national celebrity overnight (only in NZ can a sheep be a celebrity) To cut a long and stupid story short, he was shorn. To those who may be interested his wool-afro weighed a whooping 27kg, which is said, could make up to 20 large suits. After the shearing, Icebreaker (a NZ company that makes awesome warmies clothing), upon request of the NZ SPCA humane organization, even made him a special merino jacket, so he could once again roam free and face the elements.
TBH, Shrek looked pretty pissed off at losing his sweet wool-afro, I know I would be pretty pissed too if I spent 6 years growing my hair only to, you know, have someone take me to a hairdresser to cut it all off, and then give it to someone who was supposedly going to use it to make something, but hasn't, and therefore the cutting of my hair was POINTLESS and only served as another piece of kindling to throwing on the guilt-flames of the past! But I'm getting completely off topic here, so..What was I on about again? Oh yeah, Shrek. I received this text message from my Dad on Tuesday night;
Hi on tv news they flew shrek the sheep to an iceberg off Dunedin coast and shore him. They had a warm coat to put on him afterwards. hav a gd wk
I wasn't sure what disturbed me more, the fact that my Dad uses text-speak or that they had actually flown a sheep to an iceberg, 100kms off the Dunedin coast, to shear it. I had a bit of a giggle at this message, told Bjorn and Gord (thus the warning of not spreading this story lol) I came to work yesterday and had a look online to see if I could find the news story about this, you know, backing up the story with the facts. I found nothing. This is when I started to doubt my Dad. Now, I wouldn't never say that my Dad is a outright liar, but he sure is gullible, and I thought that maybe someone had told him, he believed it, and was now spreading the word. I wasn't willing to tell anybody else about it (except B & G, of course) until I found out it was true.
And guess what? This morning it was confirmed. Why? Why did this happen? Its all very simple you see. It was his birthday. They flew Shrek out there to get shorn, for his birthday.If you want to see it for your own eyes, go HERE. There's even a god damn video clip.
Crazy New Zealanders? Yeah, no shit. But atleast the profits go to a good cause.