Frankie Says Relax

Remember how a few years back, it was "hip" to be into the 80's? Where all the girls wore large fluorescent bangles, tights, and over sized tees (and how some still do today lol)? There were also the select few that took it a step too far and starting teasing and feathering their hair. If that's not dedication to what's "in", then I don't know what is.

The music suddenly became popular again, there were a number of 80's remix albums, bands started bringing out new greatest hits albums and doing world tours. This all must've had some sort of influence on the re-entrance of 80s-love.

Problem was with this "fad", was there were a lot of poor people that were into the 80's before all these dirty little bitches came along and were all like "OMGZTEH80ZARELIEKZSORAD". I was one of those "poor people", that just got clumped together with all these other fad-freaks. And whilst my hair has always been a little bonjo (e.g. Bon Jovi) - see picture - I was never really into the fashion side of things. So whenever someone asked me what sort of music I liked, I said that I generally liked most of the music from the 80's. A common response to this was eye-rolling and "Of course you do".

This seriously pissed me off.

But that was short lived and like most fads, this one passed, and while there are still a lot of people these days that do enjoy 80's music, that do dress like they've just stepped out of a time machine (or phone booth, as it be), just because of this period, where all the headlines read "the 80's are back!". I don't feel any hatred toward these people because you know, they've stuck it out, and they might just be of the genuine kind, that have discovered how great the 80's were, regardless of how popular it was at the time.

I still like 80's music, all the cheesy pop hits, all the crazy experimental music, the new romantics? Hell yes. So when I first heard about "Music & Lyrics", I was intrigued. Drew Barrymore & Hugh Grant? A story about a washed out 80's has-been? What could there be not to love! So last night, we (the VanSea Gang) rocked on down to the Rio theatre on Broadway to see it.

Needless to say, it was pretty funny. A cheesy chick-flick of course, but still, very funny. And this, is the funniest thing about it:



PS: Hugh Grant can sing cheesy 80's pop songs. Fantastic. My new favourite song.