Sardinia - May 2007

Our flight to Sardinia was quite surreal, with most of the passengers being guests for Pete & Cinzia's wedding. We'd flown from Luton, leaving a bunch of our stuff behind at left luggage. Unnecessary shit that would've just added weight to our already scummy baggage allowance. We'd thought it would end up costing us a leg for the 5 days it would be stored there, but turns out..it didn't. On our return to Luton, we found that we didn't have to pay anymore and it only cost us 4.50 for the 5 days! The money you save when workers in England are just too lazy to check. Exceeellent!

Pete & Cinzia, being the gracious hosts they are, actually met us all at the airport. Bjorn and I caught a lift with one of Pete's work friends, whilst all the others - once ready - formed one large convoy from the Cagliari airport all the way to Villacidro, where we were all set to meet at the hotel Cuevador. The hotel were most of the guests would be stationing themselves for the entirety of their stay.

From the hotel, we were taken to Cinzia's house, and there we met Gabriel for the first time. The person Bjorn and I had been eager to meet for quite sometime now, ending up exceeding our expectations and being the cutest and most well-behaved baby we (or at least I) had ever met (family, of course, not included).

From Cinzia's it was off to our temporary home. Bjorn being the best man had its perks, which included arranged and free accommodation with Cinzia's aunt, Giovanna. We were escorted there once the rest of the party arrived from the airport, and were delighted to find that our holiday-host was this lovely (and somewhat eccentric) Sardinian woman, who opened up her home, and treated us like on of her own brood. She didn't speak a word of English (tho her daughter, Francesca did and helped us greatly in the time we stayed), and we obviously don't really speak any Italian, so it did end up being an entertaining 5 day stay, with us all trying to understand what the other was on about. It ended up being much like a drawn-out game of charades, which sounds frustrating to some, but was actually quite a lot of fun.

After meeting and conversing with our lovely host, we were ferried off back to the Cuevador for dinner with the rest of the new arrivals. Eating, drinking and cooing-over-Gabriel ensued until the night was done and bedtime called, we all had a big day the next day, for that was the day Pete & Cinzia were to be wed.

It didn't rain that day, even though it looked tempted. The wedding was held on a hill, outside the church (later we would find out that this wedding was the first wedding in Villacidro, not to be held inside the church). There were seats, even though most people didn't sit. I didn't hear the ceremony much, and even if I had, I probably wouldn't have understood it anyway. The ceremony was beautiful, and as all weddings do, almost made me blub. I couldn't even go up to Cinzia afterwards in fear of blubbing all over her beautiful dress.

After the short ceremony, as with all weddings, it was time to eat, but in this case, it was time to SERIOUSLY eat. Unbelievably there were some 22 courses, not including the delicious cake they served. Red wine, white wine, and eat the very end, bottles upon bottles of the most delicious champagne I have EVER tasted (and which I intend on tracking down for my own consumption). I must've drunk at least 2 bottles by myself and by the end of that, with all the wine I had drunk prior to, felt pretty lashed.

But that wasn't the end of it! After the 5 hour dinner, we were headed to the wedding after party, which was held in a remote club on the outskirts of Villacidro. It rained then, and wasn't very pleasant. Getting to about 2am we were done, and it was time for home and for bed.

The remainder of our stay. whilst not very exciting or even worth blogging about, was still very enjoyable. Most of the wedding guests stayed on, so Villacidro was inundated with English speakers. There were beach excursions, long dinners, midday naps, coffee consumption and the entertaining experience of trying to converse with our humble hosts. Giovanna at one stage actually apologised for not making a pasta sauce one day. She had instead just stirred in some butter and cheese, and had thought Bjorn and I would be disappointed.

She as wrong. It was delicious. D.E.L.I.C.I.O.U.S!

We spent 5 days there, in the grace of our humble host, and at the very end, she still felt the need to gift us with homemade olive oil. And let me tell you, you don't know olive oil until you've had it homemade from an Italian. You don't know it bitch!

On our last day, Pete, Cinzia and Gabriel took us for a tour around Cagliari, and we enjoyed a leisurely lunch at the beach. I celebrate their wedding with a smashing of a plate (which was actually due to me tripping on the table leg). Our last day was the hottest it had been. Bjorn and I both feeling it later that day, even though we'd only spent about 15 minutes at the most out in it WITH sun block on.

After our beach trip, we were escorted to the airport, said our goodbyes and left Sardinia for the second time after an amazing trip and an amazing wedding. Hopefully we'll get back there sometime soon.

I'll leave you with a mini-video of the crazy honking Italians.


Next..Liverpool!