Work: My first week on the job has been pretty damn good. On Monday, everything was confusing. On Tuesday, everything starting to make a bit more sense, but was still quite confusing. On Wednesday, I got it. Well, most of it. There are still parts to the job that I need to learn/remember, but nothing that isn't achievable or too complicated. On Thursday, I had fun doing things by myself and didn't need to ask a lot of questions. I even managed to get onto Medicol and look at some sweet course work. It was awesome. And today? Well today I got some free stuff, so ya know, that's just made my day lol. I've starting figuring things out myself, and have been given the leeway to do this, to learn. Most of my other jobs consisted of having information rammed down my throat, or creating my own routine, and thus knowing it inside out.
This has been my first full weeks worth of work for ages - since the IBM job was always all over the place. It feels nice working, even tho I'm not even an official person here yet and probably won't get paid for a loooooooong time. The people I work directly with are fantastic, and everybody I've spoken to via phone or email have been very nice and welcoming. So I guess this leads to the question; How long will this love affair last?
A very good question indeed, and one that I can't really calculate the answer from the short period of time I've been here, but I think I'm leaning toward "a long time". The job itself isn't hard, I get to deal with people, I have my own area, I have my own responsibilities, I work with nice people.
Oh yeah, and it's a stable job where I get paid a decent salary. So wheres the hating?!
Non-work: Last night Bjorn and I went to see 300 at the Rio. First of all, I have to say I love the Rio theatre. It has the comfiest chairs, the popcorn is delicious and it's a fucken good price (esp on a Tuesday!). As for the movie itself, I actually quite enjoyed it. If you're the kind of person that enjoys accurate historical movies and knows not only about the battle of Thermopylae but also the Spartan way of life (there were some major discrepancies there too), then you'll probably just whine about it and probably shouldn't see it. Then again, if you're the type of person to enjoy not only the historical value of a film, but also the stunning visuals that it has to offer, some cheesy lines, and some scantily clad males and females, well then you should probably still see it, because all that shit makes up for the fact that the real history just-aint-there. I wouldn't say there is too much gore, but there are some excellent head-chopping scenes and satisfying blood spurts, which just makes the movie all the more entertaining. It does feel a bit like Sin City (the reason why is obvious) but overall, I really liked it. I really like David Wenham, but I wasn't entirely sure of his playing the "narrator" role of the film, his voice to me, sounds a bit silly in that role, but then again, if you think of the narrators they had from stories of that period, he fits perfectly. I think I would see this movie again, and even though it has some supremely bad acting, you can look past that at the fact that it doesn't run long, has awesome visuals, some excellent fight scenes, and some hot half-nekkid bodies. And it can't be so bad if it makes people want to learn more about history, right? Even if they begin picketing about how truly inaccurate this movie is. 'Nuff said.
Next movie: Blades of Glory! Alriiight!