I've decided to be openly optimistic about 2008, after all, I do have the Chinese on my side - this year is a Rat year. I'll be saying goodbye to 23 in March and saying a big happy hello to 24. 24. 24. 24!
There's something about 24 that pleases my (unstable, compulsive, obsessive and anxious) mind. It's rounded and delicious (yes, delicious). I can feel it. I can see it. It's tangible and I can touch it. 24 carats representing 100% pure gold. 24 bits a computer needs to represent True Colour. 24 the atomic number of Chromium. 24 the hours in a day. How exciting!
Can I be 24 forever? Is that doable?
Now, I'm not one for resolutions, I think they're rubbish. I could say it's because you should be constantly making changes to improve yourself (yes, even if you think you're already fantastic) and that it's just plain stupid to pick one time a year to put so much pressure on yourself to do them.. but you know what? I'm not going to play that card, because whilst I believe that we should all be constantly trying to improve ourselves (even by just opening our eyes a little more to the world around us) I don't believe the rest of that shit.
You see, I don't make resolutions because I am a realist. I know I won't stick to these resolutions, so why make 'em? It would just be a task in making myself feel guilty by not following through with something else, wheres the gain in that? I have enough guilt throughout the year, thank-you-very-much.
Not making resolutions doesn't dampen my new year spirit though, I do go through changes, I do try to improve things and do things and be something I could probably only ever hope to be., but I certainly don't write lists of things I need and must do, or set tasks I won't ever accomplish.
Tho sometimes I do wish I did and then did go on to complete them.
Like every year I think, wow, maybe I should consider eating better and taking better care of myself. Okay, TBH, not every year, more likely every month I think this. And you know what, maybe I should do it? Why am I making excuses for myself? I should just bloody do it, right? It doesn't take much to look after yourself and considering you are the most important commodity (yes, not your car, not your house, but YOURSELF) what am I waiting for? A sign from God? An eye opener? A slap in the face with a trout (please, no offers)? The sign I should be looking for is what I'm already saying to myself; do something.
But I'm not going to say it, because I'm not going to pressure myself (my mind is sensitive to new ideas lol) so I'm just going to sneak it into my daily routine and hopefully I'll exceed my own expectations which is, of course, to fail.
I'll keep you secretly posted.