Customising like a muthafucka

I may have a slight addiction to Converse chucks. Can you blame me tho? They are awesome, comfortable, good quality and come in so many different types, colours, and sizes.

So it may not be so unbelievable to hear that I now am the proud owner of a mere (I say mere, because you haven't seen the extent of Sarah's collection! HOLY!) 6 pairs. 3 pairs of lows, 3 pairs of highs. I have to say I do probably prefer the hi-tops, because it makes my ankle feel nice and snug, even if there is zero support provided by the fabric lol.

Actually I've not long ago posted about my Converse love, and the pairs I own (which at that time, was only the 3 lows) so I won't go into great detail about the pairs I have. This post is more about the new fascination I've found in customising Converse, and ending up with a totally sweet, original and awesome pair of shoes, as are my sweet new Bubble Bobble pair below:


They're a simple baby blue, with yellow rims, pair. I sketched Mr. Bobblun from a painting that was previously gifted to Mr. Bjorn, by the talented Mr. Shen. Pencil sketched, then painted over, very carefully with fabric paint I picked up from Spotlight (of course). I then sprayed with waterproofing stuff, so they'll be extra sexy for a long time.

These pair also have my totally awesome, previously purchased for a pair that never showed (those cute yellow ladybird ones! waah!), yellow glow-in-the-dark shoelaces.

All in all, they are some uber awesome shoes that seem to be getting some interwebz attention, and I haven't even worn them yet! I've had a couple of people ask me if I'd be willing to do some for them, given they provide the shoes, and some money.

But I'm not sure. If you had cool custom shoes, would you be selfish and keep all the glory for yourself? I mean, nothing is stopping anybody else copying what I've done and creating their own. It's actually very easy, given you have the equipment, patience, and a steady hand. The hardest part of this task was reversing Mr. Bobblun for the second shoe. That totally confused me! But at least I had an eraser at hand if I needed it.

What do you think? I'm swaying at the yes, because I'd love to share the joy I've gotten from my sweet geeky-gamer shoes, and it's not like this person is someone I'd see all the time, that would be in my face with the same pair that I have (they live in the states). And it would just be a nice thing to do right? I could even change them a bit, have Mr. Bubblun instead, or add some baddies, or maybe even a bunch of bananas? lol

And then, with that question, I start thinking of all the other retro arcade games that I could put onto awesome chucks. I think retro is totally the way to go. The design is freakin' easy, since a lot of the games were mega-super-duper pixelated (which means the character design itself is really just squares!). So why not? Why not start sketching up other designs that could be put to good use on a awesome shoe?

Just an idea..