After writing the other day about how my job scares me I had a scary moment the following Tuesday, where upon arriving to work at what seemed like the crack of dawn (that will be 8am lol) I discovered that our TT server had gone down. The responsibility for this server relies solely on me to the point where all our lovely I.T. gurus are even a bit lost when it comes to fixes.
So after my initial pants-shitting first response, I got to work, rifling around in all the notes, harassing my predecessor via email, then speaking to her on the phone (she was also a bit baffled as to what the problem was, which didn't instill any confidence in me), speaking to I.T., adding, editing and deleting, come 5 hours later, there was finally a break through and we got the server up and running again.
In hindsight, whilst it was a massive pain in the ass, and a huge stress to me at the time, it's probably the best thing that could have happened. I had been worried about the server side of my job, not really having played with it (you can really only learn if something goes wrong with this one) I didn't know where to really start, but now since having to go through all of that, I'm prepared for whatever it decides to chuck-up at me.
In fact I fixed another server problem this afternoon, with ease and confidence, and I can definitely credit the crash the other day for this. And when it comes to shutting down the 2008 server at the end of the year, I'm quite frankly full of it - confidence that is ;)
I can feel my nerd brain growing as we speak, go nerd brain go!